Will You Need Flood Damage Restoration in Las Colinas, TX?
Blog Summary: The friendly experts at SERVPRO offer four simple tips for homeowners to prepare for hurricane season in Las Colinas, TX, while minimizing storm damage.
Hurricanes can cause extensive, costly damage incredibly quickly. SERVPRO, a leading water and storm damage restoration company serving Las Colinas, TX, has highly-trained technicians who can respond quickly after a storm or hurricane to help remove water and prevent the need for mold remediation.
However, their team has a few tips to help homeowners prepare for hurricane season and minimize water damage.
4 Tips to Prepare for Hurricane Season
#1 Understand the Severity of Weather Conditions
The first thing homeowners should know is the differences in the terms used for hurricane and storm weather reports. A storm or hurricane watch is a less serious threat than a storm or hurricane warning. Weather watches indicate the possibility of storm or hurricane conditions. Weather warnings indicate that specialists expect the storm or hurricane to happen.
#2 Maintain an Emergency Kit
Keeping an emergency kit is vital in the case that power or access to water is lost. There are quite a few items that homeowners should keep in an emergency kit. The exact items in an emergency kit will vary by household needs but generally include seven days’ worth of:
- Clean, drinkable water (one gallon per person per day)
- Non-perishable foods and canned foods that are not expired (plus can-opener)
- Medications and health-related items (spare eyewear, blood pressure monitors, etc.)
- Batteries for a weather radio and other necessary battery-powered devices
- Pet food and pet medications
- Toiletries and hygienic products
- Clean clothing and a water-proof container for them
- Identification, insurance, and other important documents in a sealed container
There are many additional items that might be useful in an emergency kit. This list is just a small sampling of what a typical home might require in the case of a storm or hurricane. It’s also best to keep materials on hand to board off windows and secure entry points.
#3 Prepare to Minimize Home Damage
One of the best methods to minimize damage from a storm is to prepare ahead of the weather. These precautionary home preparations can be made before the storm hits:
- Keep damaged and weak trees trimmed down
- Reattach any loose or hanging gutters
- Reinforce weak areas like roofs, windows, and doors
- Invest in a generator to power important appliances during a power outage
- Invest in a secure storm shelter and supply it with a 7-day emergency kit to keep your family safe
#4 Know What to Do in the Aftermath of the Storm
Storm and hurricane season can cause thousands of dollars of damage between flooding, wind damage, and more. The residential and commercial cleaning services offered by companies like SERVPRO can help restore homes and businesses after a storm. Professionals know the best practices and have specialized equipment to help clean up.
About SERVPRO of Coppell and West Addison
In Texas, home and business owners can rely on the team at SERVPRO to clean and restore their buildings after a storm or hurricane has hit the area.
SERVPRO offers water damage restoration, fire restoration, storm damage restoration, and commercial cleaning. Call (972) 233-8400 to speak with a SERVPRO team member 24/7 to arrange a flood damage restoration in Las Colinas, TX, or follow them on Facebook to learn more about their services.
SERVPRO of Coppell and West Addison
1707 E. Belt Line Rd
Coppell, TX 75019