SERVPRO in Coppell, TX : Protect Your Property from Winter Damage
If not properly prepared, cold weather can wreak havoc and cause costly damage to your home or business. Heavy rain, freezing temperatures, damaging winds, sleet or snow, all can cause serious property damage. You can’t control the weather. You can take steps to be prepared, which helps take the sting out of winter weather.
To assist with preventing weather-related damages, consider implementing the following precautions before winter weather hits.
- Check your home or business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, ice, and snow, can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Roofs, water pipes, and gutters should all be inspected to ensure they are in proper order. Gutter downspouts should be directed away from your building. Clear out the gutters of debris that may have gathered during the fall. Leaves and other obstructions can lead to a damming effect, causing roof damage and interior water problems.
- Clean chimneys and exhaust systems to ensure they are free of debris.
- Test gas lines if they have been dormant to ensure they are in good working order with no leaks.
- Inspect your property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Protect pipes from freezing by allowing water to drip when temperatures dip below freezing. If pipes are under a cabinet, leave the cabinet doors open allowing warm inside air to circulate around the pipes. Make sure all exterior pipes are properly insulated.
- If the building has outdoor faucets, consider shutting water off at the main valve in the basement of crawl space. Once the valve is off, open the outdoor faucet to ensure it drains, preventing any remaining water from freezing in the pipe.
- Make sure all exterior doors, garages, roll-ups, and windows have sufficient weather stripping.
- Ask your local Dallas area SERVPRO of Coppell and West Addison Professionals about completing an Emergency READY Profile (ERP) for your business. The ERP is a no cost assessment to your facility, and provides you with a plan to get back in business fast following a disaster.
If your business or home suffers from winter related property damage, call SERVPRO of Coppell and West Addison at (972) 233-8400.