Five Common Fire Hazards and Tips to Avoid Fire Damage
Blog Summary: SERVPRO® of Coppell and West Addison, North Dallas’s leading fire, storm, and water damage restoration company, details five of the most common fire hazards and advises readers on how to avoid fire damage.
Fire hazards at home and in the workplace increase the risk of fires or worsen fire damage. During a fire, fire hazards prevent firefighting equipment from functioning correctly and prevent individuals from getting out safely. Fire hazards include any materials that obstruct fire safety tactics.
Fire Hazards come in many shapes and sizes, ranging from unmonitored candles to building materials susceptible to fire damage.
Managing fire damage without a fire restoration company can be challenging, depending on the indoor environment’s fire risk level. Risk increases as more hazards exist in one location. Some threats may only pose a high fire damage risk in certain conditions.
Five common fire hazards
It’s crucial to be aware of the many potential fire hazards in a home or business. The following are some of the most common residential and commercial fire damage sources.
- Worn electrical wiring: Damage to electrical cables and cords from prolonged use, rodent chewing, and other wear and tear issues can result in severe fire damage. Sparking wires may quickly ignite hazardous materials on the floor and walls.
- Malfunctioning equipment or appliances: Between coffee makers, HVAC systems, and electrical machinery, there are many opportunities for fires to develop when these items become faulty. Worn-out appliance cords may spark when plugged into electrical outlets. In some cases, electrical sparks from damaged circuit boards may start the instantaneous combustion of flammable materials in and around these appliances. Always have the home and workplace appliances checked by professionals to prevent fire damage.
- Unattended lit cigarettes: Falling asleep with a lit cigarette or not putting a cigarette out after a work break can lead to significant fire damage. According to the findings of the National Fire Protection Association, in 2016, an estimated 16,500 house structure fires were caused by smoking materials such as cigarettes, pipes, and cigars, as reported to U.S. fire agencies.
- Open flames: Unattended flames, such as those on candles and gas stoves, are common fire hazards that can start a house fire. Accidental knocking or leaving a burning candle unattended has been reported to cause a fire in residences, while NFPA further reports that in 2020 alone, nearly 49% of home fires in the US have originated from the kitchen involving cooking equipment.
- Flammable chemicals: Flammable chemicals in factories and other industrial applications can cause significant, toxic fires. Chemical accelerants in the area may worsen fire damage upon exposure. In home fires reported to fire departments, chemical fires often happen after chemical reactions in the garage and storage spaces. It is always essential to read and follow storage instructions on the label of fire hazard chemicals used at home and workplaces.
How to avoid fire damage
Avoiding fire damage in the home and workplace is vital. Businesses should follow Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards regarding fire hazards to suppress fires quickly. Employees must pay careful attention to chemical and accelerant labels to understand the fire damage risk.
In the home, it’s best to monitor open flames and keep fire hazards out of reach of children or pets. It’s also essential to maintain damaged electrical wiring, appliances, and other fire damage risks. Ensuring the fireplace and cigarette ashes are completely cool before putting them in the trash is another best practice to adopt.
If a fire occurs in a home or business, get fire restoration services immediately to prevent extensive damage and reduce the harmful effects of smoke. Professionals can help.
How SERVPRO® of Coppell and West Addison Can Help
SERVPRO of Coppell and West Addison is one of the local leaders in water damage restoration, storm damage restoration, and fire damage restoration. Whether it is extensive fire damage from an oil fire or an electric clothes dryer caught on fire, they can implement the most effective cleaning and restoration processes.
Get a residential or commercial fire damage restoration from SERVPRO of Coppell and West Addison. The team utilizes industry-standard restoration techniques and state-of-the-art equipment. They are licensed, bonded, and insured to restore a fire-damaged home or workplace.
Contact Team Shaw of SERVPRO® of Coppell and West Addison in Bluffview, TX, at (972) 233-8400 today and learn more about their fire damage restoration services.